Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Chick Pea Sausages

Tonight's dinner won an award. I even got the comment "these are better than real sausages" from my husband. That says a lot!

These yummy sausages resulted from a quick "what is in the cupboard?" scan. Let's see ... I had some almond meal, some chick peas, a tin of butter beans, a tin of coconut milk and lots of potatoes. End of pay week. Not much left. I knew there would be a riot if I served chick pea curry again...so no coconut milk tonight.

Another of my favourite recipe books has a recipe for what I thought were red bean sausages. I figured butter beans would do, but when I checked the book there were no beans in the recipe at all ... so I put them back in the cupboard but I'm not sure why because by the time I'd finished with it, the dinner I made had only three ingredients in common with the original recipe: cheese, onion and egg!

Here is the original recipe, from Alison and Simon Holst's Very Easy Vegetarian Cookbook:
"Cheese and Onion Sausages" (p88)
1 small onion
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
3 cups soft breadcrumbs ( I used almond meal)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sage and thyme (I only had Rosemary - threw a dash of cumin in too)
pepper to taste
2 large eggs
1/4 cup breadcrumbs to coat (I used almond meal again)

The recipe says finely chop onion and mix with ingredients and 1 of the eggs. Roll into sausages, dip into the 2nd egg (beaten well - acutally they just use the egg white but I forgot that bit).

BUT I added about a cup of chick peas that I put through the mincing function on my juicer, and a cup of grated carrot (suggestion from my son) and I rolled it in almond meal to make it gluten free.

Put in the fridge for half an hour then shallow fry in a little oil. Don't cook for too long or the cheese melts inside and they fall apart!

I served with a gluten-free pasta salad, and a home made gravy.
Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment