Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sprouted Sunflower Seed Patties or Dip

I have recently had to make an adjustment to my diet and am now enjoying foods free of gluten, dairy, soy and nightshades. So I am experimenting with food!

This recipe was initially given to me as a delicious sunflower dip, but I wanted to make some patties that I could keep in the freezer for lunches - as I have been finding lunches a bit of a challenge without bread handy to make yummy sandwiches with - so I added the almond meal, oil and the egg to hold it together. If you leave these ingredients out it will make a really lovely sunflower dip.

1 cup sunflower seeds
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup almond meal
Handful of your favourite herbs (I used parsley)
Your favourite spices (I use cumin, and garam masala)
1 egg
2tbs coconut oil
1 carrot, grated

METHOD
Soak the sunflower seeds overnight. Rinse in the morning and twice during the day. Leave in the bowl until sprouts appear.

Place sunflower seeds, onion, celery, garlic, almond meal and herbs into the blender and pulse until mixed well. Add egg and coconut oil and blend again until well mixed. If mixture looks too dry add a little bit more oil.

Spoon mixture into a bowl and stir through grated carrot.

Form into patties. If they go in the fridge for about half an hour they will be nice and firm for cooking.

Cook under the grill or in a pan with a bit of ghee or oil.

Serve with your favourite dipping sauce and salad or cool on a tray and wrap individually in cling wrap or between sheets of baking paper in a container for storing in the freezer. This way you can take out patties 1 at a time as you need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment